Spring 1988
This is my Grandma Viola Martin McComb Crossley. For those who have heard me talk of her over the years, this is THE grandma. Today marks the 17th anniversery of her death, and for some reason I miss her more today, than I have for years. She has been much in my mind over the past months. She has been and still is the voice in my head when choices must be made, as I wonder what she would do. In my head I hear her say "Have you taken it to the Lord, Cheryl?" If I had to sum up her life in one phrase, I believe it would be Love of God and Family. Shortly after my oldest daughter, Rachel, was born, we had a 4 generation picture taken
December 25, 1985
Grandma holding babies is one of my strongest images in my memory. She loved children. Shortly after she passed, I wrote this poem.
My grandma was a woman
of quite modest means
Yet when grandma died
She left me so many things.
Grandma had so many talents
tinking of them makes me dizzy.
She lived by the adage
keep small hands busy.
Her hands seemed to fly with
crocheting and knitting.
I never once saw her
in a chair just sitting.
She left me a book
having nurtured my love to read
And in my children today
I plant that seed.
She was a great storyteller
just give her a line.
She’d start right there
and loose track of time.
When you had a problem
she said “Here I am!”
And she listened and talked
as we made choke cherry jam.
She taught me to find
beauty in very small things
Like the joy that is found
when to a child one sings
Children were her focus
here whole life through
She nurtured and cared for them
even after they grew.
When I think of my grandma,
I can still feel her love.
And I hope she is smiling
down from heaven above.
When I remember Grandma now, I think of her arms around me as she hugged me and kissed me on the forehead, smelling of vanilla and chocolate chip cookies. I think of her as I knit--remembering her sitting me down at age 7 and telling me that I needed stillness lessons. She is all around me, part of who I have become and because of that I am enriched. Here are just a few pictures of her life with family.
Here she is with my Grandpa McComb, Aunt Mick and Mom on thier laps.
In the kitchen with Aunt Mick.
May 26, 1961
Here she is with mom and aunt Mick at their graduation.
July 3, 1982
She is in the background at a picnic. She loved picnics and when Uncle Mike and Aunt Jeannine came to town, the world stopped so we could be with them. We loved it when Uncle Mike came to visit--chores were set aside and fun began.
1988
She was very happy with this picture of her and Grandpa Crossley. She felt it was a good picture of her.
Fall 1992
Here she is at the last picnic she was able to enjoy up at Justice park. She is here with Grandpa Crossley, Mom, my sister Sarah and brother Joe. Oh how she loved going on a picnic.
I love you Grandma--Thank you.



3 comments:
She always did love picnics from as far back as I can remember. The picture where she is on the phone and I am about to pull her towel off was taken in the living room at her mother's house in Salt Lake. Love your memories and your poem. Love ya Aunt Mick
What a beautiful tribute to an obviously extraordinary woman! Thank you for sharing her with us :)
Enjoyed the photos very much-- some I haven't seen before. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my kids when they get home from school.
Post a Comment