This past weekend has been so difficult for us. Ethel is in the hospital once again. This time she was bleeding inside her digestive tract--a LOT. Her vitals were thready and bad and she was very close to death. Then on Sunday, she rebounded and is doing so much better. That being said, her care is going to be so much more difficult and with my continuing health issues that will be another 18 or so months before I will be well completely, we have had to make a difficult decision. Ethel will be going from the hospital to a nursing home. We have cared for Ethel to the best that is in us for 9 years. Often we have considered the good of Ethel instead of the good of the rest of the family. It is time to think of the good of the family. This is the type of choice that is the kind that twists you up inside. It was made prayerfully, and all in the family had a say in the final decision. It is the way we work as a family. I know it is time, but inside I feel like the picture above. Tonight we will go and visit the facilities on our short list. Then it will be time to make a decision. My head hurts.


3 comments:
Sorry that you have to make such a difficult decision. I know you'll find a place that is a good fit for Ethel and will help you both be more comfortable. Good luck!
I will pray for you, dear Cheryl. You and your family have given so very much to Ethel these years, and you will be blessed for it. Look at this as the years you were able to give Ethel with your family as a precious gift, because that's what they are. She could have been in a nursing home much sooner than this. Like you said, there always comes a time when we have to do what is the best for our family. I've been wondering how you were going to keep managing caring for Ethel and I've been concerned for you.
I love you.
Oh my heart goes out to you and your family. I know this must have been a terribly hard decision for you all to make. You all have given so much of your time, love, talents and much more for the care of this dear lady. She is blessed to have such wonderful family who have been willing to take on such a task. It truly has been trying, but what strength of character it has built. Take care. You are in my thoughts and prayers continually.
Post a Comment