For many weeks now, Jessica, Josh, and Daniel have been practicing almost every week for the Cultural Celebration for the dedication of our new Kansas City Temple. They have danced until they couldn't even stay upright, and sang until their voices were practically gone....working hard to be able to perform for our beloved Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, who came to dedicate the temple tomorrow.
Nothing could have prepared me for the amazing performance of 3000+ youth--singing, dancing all the while telling the history of our area. So many emotions--laughing, crying, cheering joyfully as I watched the story unfold. They sang about their differences, they danced and honored those who serve in the armed forces in this area, while in between there were small glimpses as many were interviewed on the screen. One young man said that he would think it was the coolest thing in the world if President Monson would just wiggle his ears (and at the end, a prophet of God did just that because this young man asked.)
I cried as those from the Joplin area told through song and dance of the devestation of the tornado last year and then of the hope that came from those who have and are now still helping them to rebuild. Tears ran down my face during that part, and then again when 10,000+ people gave a standing ovation for over 5 minutes as the missionaries serving in the 2 missions covered in this temple district marched down the middle of the young women and young men that sang of preparing themselves while in their youth to serve the Lord.
What started out as a day of feeling lost, ended with feeling blessed to be a part of this great event. Of seeing my youngest 3 children, who all sacrificed sleep, homework, reduced hours at work, sore muscles and more put it all out there, doing their best for a prophet of God.
Yet even now as I think of it, I know that in just 9 short hours, I will feel the spirit of our Heavenly Father even stronger as I watch our Prophet, dedicate our new temple. A temple that is only 50 minutes from my home--so close. What an amazing blessing!! I will always remember this 36 hours as a time I felt lost and the Spirit of God found me, gently reminding me that He is there for me always.

No comments:
Post a Comment