Thursday, May 24, 2012

Knitting--What else??

I love knitting--big surprise. I love the feel of the different yarns and theads as they move through my fingers.  I love the way I can take 2 sticks and some string and make useful objects for my family and friends to use in thier everyday life. I don't usually make big things, like afghans, and sweaters--mostly little common things like dish cloths, hats, scarves, and mittens--things that are useful and practical. I used to think it was because I wasn't a very good knitter...yet some of the patterns I have used and/or made up are quite complex and I teach many people to knit, as well as helping them fix their knitting problems, so I know I am an accomplished knitter. It gives me joy!


I was once asked a long time ago--If I were stranded on an island with only 1 skein of yarn, would I knit something I could use, or would I keep on frogging it (ripping it out) so I could keep on knitting? I thought this was a rather limited question--my answere? I would knit something useful, then start kniting the vines, grasses, and whatever lese I could find.

I was thinking of this when I finished the knitted knitting bag for projects that go in my purse. (Rachel hand dyed the lining to match and then put the lining in as well as using a lusette to make the cording)

Most of my knitting is done "on the go" or while waiting--waiting for class, doctors, children and football games (waiting for the band to play.) Since this is when I can knit the most, by its very nature the things I knit must be small, so as to fit in my purse. So my question is--do I knit small things because I knit on the go, or do I knit them because I am practical and want to make useful things?

No comments: