Dear Knitting,
Many people who see me ask what is on my needles. Most of the year I can answer this question without blinking. It is at this time...the last quarter of the year that I give my standard answer "a birdcage cover." When I give this answer this is what most people think of.....
OK people, this is not what I mean. Since I knit most of my Christmas gifts right in front of the people they are meant for, and since I have quite brilliant children who know this, I had to come up with a code. So for everyone who is frustrated with my answer it is a birdcage cover, know that it is code for this.....
and you just might be the person I am knitting for.
Happily Knitting,



2 comments:
I remember the first time I used that phrase to describe your knitting. I had just seen the play "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" in which a young man had learned to knit in order to impress his boss. When asked what he was making he quickly replied "a birdcage cover" and it has been shorthand in our family ever since. I love you mom and all your birdcage covers
It was shorthand for gift long before you read that play baby. I read that play in High School.
Post a Comment