Sunday, April 11, 2010

What is that x for again??

Soooooooo a ton of stuff happened this week. I made out my 4 applications as instructed. Then I attended my JSAK (Job Seeking And Keeping) classes on Wednesday and Thursday. It was a total of 7 hours class time learning how to look for a job effectively and then how to keep the job you find after you find it. At the end of the second day they asked me if I could stay a bit after class. Since I wasn't really going anywhere on account of your dad had the car and I needed to wait for him to get off work and come and get me, I smiled and said "No Problem."


So that is when they sent me downstairs to the adult education center. There I was told that since I was ahead of the game a bit, I might want to take advantage of some of the education programs that they had. Also they wanted me to take some tests. Now I have to say, I am not certain why I was ahead of the game. I had only completed the things that they told me to do, when they told me to do them. Since I didn't really want to go to work, I had decided NOT to do anything more than was required. Next thing I know I am signed up for all kinds of tests and several computer classes.


Friday was my first set of tests. The consisted of 8 skills tests, that tested my abilities and education level. Following that I took a personality and interest tests. Guess what?? I have a personality. This took 3 hours, at the end of which I found that I had the ability to do anything (Grandma Crossley was right, I could be anything I wanted to be) however my interests and personality sort of clash a bit. Apparently I have the interest and desires to be a nurse or caregiver, but my personality is of the sort that I would probably end up telling some patient to "get real, there are more suffering than you." I suppose that would be bad. . .very bad! After those tests I took a diagnostic GED test. I know, I graduated and have a diploma, however that was 28 years ago. Fact is I did far better than they ever expected in all the areas with the exception of the literature and of course MATH. I was disappointed with the reading comp score. They told me that I over think things.
Now for the Math--I swear I was reading Chinese. First they told me that I needed to buy a scientific calculater. So I did. Wow, there are a ton of buttons. So I decided that I would do all the examples in the instruction manual. Guess what?? I can follow instructions really well. I can push the buttons they tell you to, however. . .well just what good does it do to tell you to push buttons, when you don't really know what the buttons are doing, or even what function you want it to do. So I guess that would be a problem. Next up in the problem department. . .well on the first problem, I thought I knew what to do. I did the problem 4 times and got the same answer--the problem???? It wasn't any of the available answers on the test. The next problem was about a post in the ground with a wire on it going into the ground. There was as 70 degree angle of the wire to the ground and the wire was 234 feet long. So I had no idea how to do this one, but I put my finger on the wire and decided that it was a bit longer than the post, so I looked for an answer that was a little bit shorter than the wire. I got that one right, but I am pretty sure that is so NOT the way to get the answer. After that I really didn't understand what they were asking, let alone what function I needed to do to get the answer--oh and this was in the calculator section. I did't get any of the questions except the wire question right.  Apparently I am not even good a guessing on compicated math things.  Guess I need a lot of help. Good news is that I have a tutor--So to the Dad of Professor, Lion, Princess and Bean--Oh dear, I guess we have to start at the begining.  I so hope you have tons of patience.  This stuff just doesn't even make sense.  Perhaps I need a translator as well or maybe you could do both??


On Monday I take the test agian officailly--it is called the WIN test. I told them it was too soon. They said that they needed a baseline and that I can take the test up to 5 times before I take an entrance exam. Oh yes!! I am going back to school!!!! Apparently I have shown great potential, so they are going to help me out. I have an appointment at Missour Western with the director of Non-Traditional students. Yep, I am going to be a NON-TRAD!! I am so excited, I can hardly stand it. Now I just have to figure out how to fill out the FAFSA forms.  Good thing I have children who are good at this.  So it begins. . . .


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Outstanding...I have no doubt you will excell...I went back to school 37 years after high school...Loved every minute of it. Best of luck, enjoy learning...I always have. Another little secret, Aunt LaVera told me when I graduated high school I could not become a nurse because I would hit the first guy who made a pass at me with a bed pan...so your mom is the nurse of the family...Love ya sweetheart, Aunt Mick

B. Chad said...

That is AWSOME!!!!!! Isn't that what you wanted in the first place??!!!!:) I am so happy for you!
-Jamie

Rebecca Blevins said...

I am so excited for you! James said that you are a great student, by the way!

Good things will be happening! YES!