Friday, March 13, 2009

My Dear Sisters--March

My Dear Sisters,

I have been thinking of the term Watchcare In regards to Visiting Teaching, Sister Kathleen H. Hughes used the word “Watchcare” with the definition as “to watch over the church always. I looked “Watchcare” up in my dictionary. It wasn’t there. It doesn’t exist. However as I have pondered this over the course of the last several weeks, I realized that “Watchcare” doesn’t exist in the world, because it was not of the world. As visiting teachers we are charged with watching over our sisters, caring for and serving one another, but most importantly strengthening each other’s testimonies of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

In the June 1978 Ensign, President Spencer W. Kimball spoke of visiting teaching. “There is the old story you have heard so many times of the question asked of three builders of St. Paul’s cathedral in London, “What are you doing here?” The first one answered, “I am working eight hours a day. I am putting in time. I am earning my living this way.” The second one said, “I am putting brick on brick and I am building a structure here.” The third, when asked, raised himself to full stature and said, “I am building a great cathedral.”

“So it seems to me that visiting teachers who must go and do their teaching, who must get in their reports, who must answer to a call, who must do anything, are just time watchers, clock watchers. I guess there could be some of those, the clock watchers, in the Church. Then there are those who have a little better vision, “Why, it is part of the work of the Lord and, therefore, I guess I should set aside my own interests and go.” But I am sure most of the sisters in this Church are “building a great cathedral.” I am sure they are the majority”

Our attitude when we go visiting teaching strongly affects how we are received. We should look on visiting teaching as a joy, rather than a duty, as a covenant between each of us and the Lord to watch over each other. I know that if we think of ourselves as providing “Watchcare” for our sisters, not only will be become closer to those who are in our care, but we will draw closer to our Heavenly Father and Savior. As we serve and pray for each other we will become more united as sisters in the gospel. Sisters, I love the Lord. I know He knows us, and loves each of us. I testify these things to you, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sister Cheryl Helm

No comments: