Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Laundry Act of 2009

Back when my children were little it seemed like there was tons of laundry, however I could usually get it all done in 1 or 2 days each week. As each of my children have become 13 they have become responsible for thier own laundry. You would think that this would make the job easier. . .NOT!! Now we have 5 children (those still living at home) and Ethel all wanting to do thier laundry on Saturday. If not Saturday, then they put a load in, then think that the load magically goes from washer to folded in thier drawers in a blink. Soooo for the past 2 months I have had an enormous pile of laundry in my kitchen. NOT my favorite thing as I have a sort of toy sized kitchen, and who on earth puts the laundry stuff in the kitchen that is toy sized to begin with?? So today when I was wading to get to the washer to wash mine and Bill's laundry, I was frustrated when I came upon a load, who knows how long it had been in the washer, and there was a WET load in the dryer, well to say that I came slightly unhinged is an understatment. Good news is that everyone was home this evening, so we called a family counsel and came up with the following. . . .

The Laundry Act of 2009

Monday--Jessica and Communal
Tuesday--Matt and Mandy
Wednesday--Ethel
Thursday--Josh and Daniel
Friday--Bill and Cheryl
Saturday--Communal
Sunday--Emergency only


Articles

1. If you don’t do your laundry on your day, you must get permission to use someone else’s day.
2. If you empty laundry supplies tell Mandy.
3. Get your laundry out of the Kitchen on your day!!!!
4. Use your basket to transport YOUR laundry.
5. Basket snatching will NOT be tolerated.
6. Laundry left in the kitchen will have to be earned back.
7. Using another’s day without their permission will be dealt with by Mom and Dad SEVERELY.
Will this work????? who knows, but I am going crazy right now. It is a contract. I am amazed how well a contract works with teens and young adults who lives in your home. Truthfully the one I am worried about the most on this one is Ethel. Just how will we deal with Ethel if she breaks the rules. . . .?

2 comments:

RainbowPhoenix said...

Write an ammendment to the laundry act stating that those who break the rules shall have their punishment decided by the person whose day is being offended and that the punishment must reviewed and approved by Mom and Dad. That way Gram is made aware that its not only you or Dad who could "Hold her fate" so to speak. this could work or some other ammendment further outlining the severity of the consequences of breaking the rules. It could work, right?

Princess415 said...

I like Rachi's idea mom. That would probably be a good idea to solve the grandma problem. However she forgot that not all the articles have to do with using someone else's day. What do you do if grandma doesn't tell Mandy that she finished off the laundry detergent?