Monday, December 6, 2010

Elevator Music

This past week has been seriously one of the weirdest ones. For a little background, I am now in my last week of classes before final exams. So when I received an email from the Center for Better Learning (or the tutor place as I call it) that there would be a workshop on Prepping for Finals, on last Wednesday, I signed up. I didn't have any classes at that time and this seemed to be in the "good to know" category. It was a wonderful workshop. I learned many things among which was creative techniques for dealing with anxiety. After leaving the workshop, I got on the elevator to go down to the ground floor. (Since the weather has changed, it hurts my arthritis too much to do the stairs right now) I was going down, when there was a jolt and then the elevator fell for what felt like a mile, but was probably only a foot. In addition, the door refused to open. I was stuck in the elevator. You know how I don't deal with small spaces well, so the first thing I did was call your Dad. That I got him was a major miracle, as there is not supposed to be any service in the elevators on campus--it interferes with something or there is just too much metal. Anyway your Dad told me to push the emergency phone button and tell them of the problem--so I did. Within 5 minutes there were maintenance men outside the doors trying to get me out. As soon as they got there, I lost the cell signal, as I said, major miracle that I even got the call out in the first place, and I was no longer alone. I could hear them working, and was starting to feel as if I couldn't breath when I decided I would sing my hymn--Abide With Me--that hymn led into 30 minutes of singing hymns in the elevator (acoustics are fantastic in an elevator shaft) at which point the good maintance men got the door opened. I must say that I could have done without the practical application of dealing with anxiety. But Heavenly Father greatly blessed me during that crisis. I really need to work on dealing with the after effects of anxiety though, because I shook for most of the rest of the day, feeling on the edge of breaking down. Next day, after some good sleep and much prayer, I was better though. Worst part though was that while I was on the edge, I had really bad fights with two people I love and while one quickly forgave me, understanding the after effects of being stuck in an elevator,the other one will probably not talk to me for quite a while.  I will pray that this person will forgive me as well.

No comments: