Sunday, October 24, 2010

Steamed

This has been a very difficult week for me. I have a cold, as does most of our family. We are tired, grumpy and generally not at our best right now.  The children have been working on various sorts of school projects, have had mid-terms and with Daniel we have even had parent teacher conferences.  They are great children.  Things have heated up pretty much for me at school too.  On Thursday I had 3 tests--I was ready for the tests, having studied, prayed, and generally prepared. About 1/2 way through the 3 test--Biology 101, I became confused by the questions. About 20 of them were chemical compound that we were to identify. I had never seen these before, as they were not in the lecture notes, book or the either website used by the professor. I was very frustrated not to know the answers to these questions. The next day I went to talk to my professor about feeling that he was setting us up to fail. He said that he created hard tests so that we could be challenged. I agreed that challenge was good, and asked him where in the material did we recieve the information that we were tested on. He said that he expects us to go beyond the material, in this instance Organic Chemistry, as it is things we should all know. He told me that there wasn't anything I could say to change his mind. Right now in this class of 120, only 30 have a grade above an "F". I think this is wrong, especially in a 100 level class. I believe that when that many people are failing a class, you have to take a look at the instructor.  If we are going to be tested on material, I think we need to know about it or at least covered it at some point either in the book, online or in class lectures. As it stands I got a 78% on the test and while that is not as bad as it could be, it brings my really strong "A" down to an "-A". Anyway, I got angry and as you could guess, got a really upset stomach. I know that getting upset makes me sick. That is why I don't really lose my temper much anymore--it just isn't worth being sick for 2-4 days, however the injustice of this still upsets me. I still have 2 more tests in this class. Who can tell what will be on those tests? We were talking about cells and cell structure, and alright I get how that can tie into chemical compounds. If I had know that we were to study those, I would have. I will have to use great care in studying for the last 2 tests in this class. Mid-term grades come out this Wednesday. I think I am doing well in all of my classes--we will see. 


No comments: