Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Plunge

After being so sick for the last quarter of the year, I finally found a doctor who was taking new patients (this is a problem here in St Joseph as we have too many people and not enough family doctors, need a specialist--no problem, need a regular family doctor, well they are scarce.) In addition to finding a doctor who is taking patients, there are my own requirements.
1. Must believe in God--I never thought about this one too much until I had a doctor in Alamagordo NM who was a self proclaimed athiest. He said that I could believe in anything I wanted, he believed that he would go and get another drink--I fired him, and drinking doctor I did NOT need.
2. Need to be open to natural remedies and not just a pill prescriber. There is a time for meds, but there are many natural ways to accomplish good health.
3. Must NOT talk to me as if I don't have a brain--I might not be the smartest person in the world, but I don't need a doctor to talk down to me to prove it.

So after calling and interviewing several I now have a doctor. He ran several tests, most of which came back normal. With the exception of having a blood pressure problem, I am pretty healthy, especially for my wieght. So we had a long talk about my wieght and I agreed to go on the South Beach diet. (I hate that 4 letter word) I also agreed to gather a team for the KJO Pound Plunge.

The KJO Pound Plunge is a partnership between the hospital and our local radio station. It is a 12 week program that has a few rules.

1. Visit with your doctor for dietary and exercise instructions. The doctor signs the form that you have been to see him or her.
2. Gather a team of 4 and create a team name--we are the Size 9's, turns out we all wear size 9 shoes, and well size 9 would be a vast improvement for all of us.
3. Weekly weigh in. OK so I really liked their scales, as I weighed 10 pounds less than at the doctors and 7 pounds less than the one we have here at home.
4. There are weekly short (15 minute) classes as well as weekly walking activities. These are not mandatory, but can greatly enrich our experience.

The results are based on percentages lost and there are prizes and other activities for the next 12 weeks.

I am worried about a few things though. The South Beach diet has so much meat. Try explaining the word of wisdom to a Baptist!! We finally agreed that I would eat the meat for the first 2 weeks and then I could use beans, eggs, low fat cheeses and nuts for my protein after that. Do you know I will have to eat more meat in the next 2 weeks than I usually eat in 2 or 3 months??? The other thing that has been amazing to me is that I don't eat enough. After 1 month food journal where I wrote down everything that went in my mouth--yes including chocolate, it seems that I average 900 to 1000 calories each day. Doctor Turner says that since this isn't a new thing for me in that I ate normally, that my body is in a permanent state of starvation and so is holding on to everything I eat. So I have to eat 1400 calories each day. I am stuffed!! Actually I haven't been able to eat the full 1400 calories yet, but yesterday I ate foods every 2 hours and made it up to 1300 calories. I am getting there. The exercise isn't bad--water walking and deep water muscle building exercises at the YMCA pool, and my stairs every day. Then Tai Chi 3 days a week and Ball yoga the other 3 days a week. I have been doing this routine for the past 6 months. Haven't lost a pound. I am told that when I eat more, I will lose the weight. I hope so

Truthfully, I am tired of not feeling well. I am tired of gaining weight when I don't eat that much. I am tired of the looks that people give you when you are big and not being able to wear cute clothes. I am committed to this.

1 comment:

Brandan and Becky said...

Good for you for making positive chnages! It will be hard work, but you can do hard things.